Wednesday, October 26, 2016

Bring Back Romper Room!


Tonight my kindergartner and I took a trip down memory lane (my memories, not his of course!) and watched a full episode of Romper Room from 1984. Actually, I was too old in 1984 to watch this show anymore, but I couldn't find any full episodes from 1978 or 1979.

My son was as delighted with Romper Room as I was at his age, listening intently to Ms. Mary Ann teach, watching the little storytime vignettes, doing all the dances and exercises along with the kids, and generally enjoying all the age-appropriate material. And, like me when I was six, he too was completely mesmerized by the Magic Mirror, awaiting the mention of his name, along with the names of all his special people, with eager anticipation.

As I watched, I went back in time to sing along with my kindergarten self at all the songs I still remember by heart, such as "Bend and stretch, reach for the stars... here comes Jupiter, there goes Mars!" and "Romper bomper, stomper, boo. Tell me, tell me, tell me, do...." And I was surprised
to reacquaint with a regular character on the show that I had NOT  thought about again since childhood... Doo-Bee, the woman-in-black-tights wearing a paper mache bumblebee mask/head and miming along/doing movements to songs with the kids on the show. Remember Doo-Bee, the happy dancing bumblebee?

This show struck me as being extra awesome because of all the valuable content. They covered every topic of interest, with suggestions for what to do on a day when you're bored, good nutrition, exercise, how to patch it up after an argument with a friend, and more. And the kids on the show were actually local guests from schools around NJ, were they not? I'm not sure where Romper Room was filmed, but I'm assuming it was either NY or NJ because I did catch a mention of the Turtle Back Zoo.

Anyway, if you want a blast from your childhood past that puts a smile on your face and reminds you of simpler times, then check out the above episodes of Romper Room! Even cooler if you can do as I did, and watch with your kindergartner.

No comments:

Post a Comment